Decision Making Analysis

In: Business and Management

Submitted By britbaker86
Words 532
Pages 3
Britanie Baker
Decision Making Analysis Summary
April 27, 2015
MGT/230
Ronald Sprague

Decision Making Analysis Summary “The business executive is by profession a decision maker. Uncertainty is his opponent. Overcoming it is his mission” John McDonald. This statement is the best description for Anne Mulcahy. CEO of Xerox, Anne Mulcahy, is a very successful CEO who started her made her way up the corporate latter starting in sales. Anne Mulcahy was dedicated to the success of Xerox, and had to make difficult decisions in order to make the company see growth in profits again. In order to fulfill her vision of the success of Xerox she had to sell divisions, and lay off employees. All though these were tough decisions to make Anne had to do what was necessary to save Xerox from bankruptcy. Ms. Mulcahy cut a billion in cost in her first year as CEO. She also made the executive decision to put money into new technology as a way of reinventing Xerox. During week two Learning Team A had to answer questions based on this information. Learning Team A discussed how Xerox embraced characteristics of taking risk, and characteristics of managerial decisions. Throughout the discussion it was clear that most of the team members in Learning Team A agreed that Xerox embraced risk taking. The reason for this is that Xerox was on the verge of falling into bankruptcy. In order to save the company Anne Mulcahy had to cut, terminate positions, and sell divisions in order to try and save the company. Anne also put money into new technology, and consulting services. By taking these risks Mulcahy was able to turn it around for the better. These are also characteristics of Mulcahy’s managerial decisions. It is never easy to have to lay off employees, and close departments. In business it is more important to evaluate the needs of the business, and sometimes this…...

Similar Documents

Data Analysis Decision Making

...explains how to conduct a hypothesis test of a proportion, when the following conditions are met: * The sampling method is simple random sampling. * Each sample point can result in just two possible outcomes. We call one of these outcomes a success and the other, a failure. * The sample includes at least 10 successes and 10 failures. (Some texts say that 5 successes and 5 failures are enough.) * The population size is at least 10 times as big as the sample size. This approach consists of four steps: (1) state the hypotheses, (2) formulate an analysis plan, (3) analyze sample data, and (4) interpret results. State the Hypotheses Every hypothesis test requires the analyst to state a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis. The hypotheses are stated in such a way that they are mutually exclusive. That is, if one is true, the other must be false; and vice versa. Formulate an Analysis Plan The analysis plan describes how to use sample data to accept or reject the null hypothesis. It should specify the following elements. * Significance level. Often, researchers choose significance levels equal to 0.01, 0.05, or 0.10; but any value between 0 and 1 can be used. * Test method. Use the one-sample z-test to determine whether the hypothesized population proportion differs significantly from the observed sample proportion. Analyze Sample Data Using sample data, find the test statistic and its associated P-Value. * Standard deviation. Compute......

Words: 3650 - Pages: 15

Individual Ethical Decision-Making Analysis

...Individual Ethical Decision-Making Analysis It doesn’t matter in any organization, opposed ethics and values will come into play sooner or later. Everybody has their own opinions; everybody has their own morals to chase. But, it is imperative to comprehend how to deal with people who have differing values and choices when conflicts occur. When you belong to a certain kind of branch of the government like the U.S. armed forces, the best result to deal with ethical decision making and values is follow a decision making process that follows standards of Integrity, Duty and Honor. PFC Alexander, a female Soldier of my squad, accomplished the awareness inventory which indicated that her ethical viewpoint stems from a conviction of obligation or duty. The inventory pointed out that PFC Alexander’s belief system is based on what a rational individual ought to morally do. This faith is also in line with the armed forces. The armed forces focal point is on what is right and morally right. The armed forces; also inspires a core sense of code of honor, value and integrity. The armed forces provide: structure and creates the guidelines that enlisted men follow. This structure is based on the significance of obligation, duty and integrity. PFC Alexander ethical style inventory signify that she thinks that all human beings have a right to individual as well as an individuality respect. The inventory also indicates that PFC Alexander does not consider in judgments that occur......

Words: 1218 - Pages: 5

Managerial Decision Making Research and Analysis

...Managerial Decision Making Research and Analysis Teresa Grass BUS640: Managerial Economics Instructor: John Sellers August 11, 2014 During the process of this paper there will a discussion on the history of Apple mistakes in its choices to over time, risk or indecision in its operations along with financial reports to show uncertain activities and risky, their non-price competitive strategies, regulations of the government that affect Apple’s operations, the increase including the decrease of its product cost over period of time including why they varies, the inputs utilized by the company’s challenges and production function to safeguard these inputs, analysis that Apple is one of those companies that you enjoy their products or you them, and the new products that Apple has presented into the markets. Many of this occurs because of their leadership along with attitude of the business in the past. At the current time Apple is quite successful they are on the top of their market, it’s very important for Apple remain to make great choices. Steve Jobs death along with having new senior managers currently making choices for the company means they are being looked at very closely this will create great rise and fall in the company. This company began in 1976, and then they unified as Apple Computer, Inc. in 1977. In January 2007 the expression “Computer” was disconnected from its original name, after opening of the IPhone it showed its move towards consumer......

Words: 2964 - Pages: 12

Analysis and Research for the Decision Making Process

...Introduction Merging our company with The Wing Company to form Summit Solutions Corporation has brought about decisions regarding business information systems and what platforms would be the best suited for this organization. If this merger is to succeed, the organization needs to have a firm organizational strategic plan that will combine the strategies of both companies. The strategy will include how every person involved, in both organizations, will be affected, how the different platforms will work, and how these platforms can be brought together in order to reach our organization’s goals and objectives for future success. Additionally, the organization needs to have a decision processing system that will support the organization’s business processes, activities and tasks, how input and output data flows, business applications, and the organization’s technology infrastructure. In order to achieve this, the business objectives need to be defined, business workflow needs to be developed, development of system requirements, specification of the applications and data architectures, define information infrastructure, define information system program measures and metrics, and manage hardware and software integration. Three Characteristics of Enterprise Architecture Enterprise architecture is defined as the goals of the organization, how these goals will be realized from the business processes, and how these “business processes can be better served through......

Words: 1430 - Pages: 6

Decision Making Analysis

...HW3 – Due 02/14/2015,11:55PM on Moodle Please submit your answers in Moodle as one Word file, named HW3_FirstnameLastname.docx, that includes the complete solution to these problems, including your decision tree and final conclusions about the recommended decision. Please also post the corresponding Excel file that contains the decision trees to these problems, one per worksheet, clearly labeled with the problem number. TOTAL: 100 points 1. The NC Airport Authority is trying to solve a difficult problem with the over-crowded Raleigh-Durham airport. There are three options to consider: A. The airport could be totally redesigned and rebuilt at a cost of $8.2 million. The increased revenue from a new airport is in question. There is a 70% chance this would be $11 million, a 20% chance it would be $5 million, and a 10% chance it would be $1 million, depending on whether the airport is a success, moderate success, or a failure. B. The airport could be remodeled with a new runway for a cost of $4.7 million. The increased revenue would be $6 million (80% chance) or $3 million (20% chance). C. They could do nothing with the airport and suffer a loss of revenue of either $1 million (65% chance) or $4 million (35% chance). Construct a decision tree to help the Airport Authority to maximize the profit. (30 points) 2. Nagyteteny is a Hungarian soccer club. The management team is considering three options to improve the team’s performance, attract more spectators but mostly to make......

Words: 455 - Pages: 2

Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary

...Antron Davis MGT/230 Instructor: Robert Preble 01/19/2015 I and my teammates discussed about Xerox CEO: Anne Mulcahy. We talked about the tough decision faced by the CEO of Xerox, Anne Mulchany. We discussed about several striking moves that XEROX made beneath leadership of Mulcahy. She had to construct a lot of harsh decisions exactly out of the gate. A CEO throughout a crisis, constructs several decisions, a number of them turn wrong. While a number of decisions have unconstructive outcomes, Mulcahy believes you learn from them and construct improved choices subsequent time. When Mulcahy become the CEO in 2001, Xerox was tottering on the brink of bankruptcy of Chapter 11. The corporation had over $17 billion in debt and had accounted losses in all of the previous six years. A fresh reorganization of the sales force of company' had not gone as per to plan. Customers were sad and the financial system had started to weaken. Above all of that, Xerox established itself in the center of a extended inquiry by the Securities and Exchange Commission of accounting indecency in its unit of Mexico. Mulcahy is recognized for being a practical, extremely reachable leader with exceptional skills of communication. She made remarkable business and staff cuts. She brings in a new CFO. She met up with several customers. As well, she acquired her people centered on growth and turnaround, which she states is the work of leadership. Mulcahy and her team from the beginning formulated a......

Words: 671 - Pages: 3

Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary

...Decisions Making Analysis Discussion Summary Maceline Michaud MGT230 July 6, 2015 Kathleen Dominick Decisions Making Analysis Discussion Summary To make a decision, you must face the reality of the current situation. Anne Mulcahy had to do so for Xerox when she step in as a CEO. Xerox was facing a possible bankruptcy and Mulcahy dove in to help the company rebuild again. Mulcahy had a vision and it was to keep the corporate culture intact. It was not an easy task as decisions had to be made. Clearly the CEO used the different stages of decision making to help Xerox to rebuild again without having to file bankruptcy. The stages of decision making are identifying and diagnosing the problem, generating alternative solutions, evaluating alternatives, making the choice, implementing the decision and evaluating the decision. Anne Mulcahy identified and diagnosed the problem of Xerox, which was expenses were too high, the profit margins were simply too low to return to profitability and the company had a debt of $18 billion. Bankruptcy was never a solution for the company and Mulcahy stated George (2008), “Bankruptcy is never a win” (para. 4). Generating and evaluating alternative solutions for Xerox was the key to rebuilding. Anne Mulcahy confronted the infrastructure by selling off pieces of Fuji Xerox, the company’s crown jewel and farmed out manufacturing to Flextronics. She also eliminate 28,000 jobs and billions in expenses which......

Words: 588 - Pages: 3

Decision Making Analysis

...Decision Making Analysis Shon Kele MGT/230 August 28 2015 Steve Brennan Decision Making Analysis In every organization there is a golden goose. There is a hidden talent that most times is over looked and the potential of that individual is never unleashed. But there are a few that gets past with the vision of someone seeing potential, passion, and pride. Anne M. Mulcahy, was just the person Xerox was looking for. Potential, Passion, and Pride From reviewing the video in this week’s lesson, Anne Mulcahy was a sister of a brother whom worked for Xerox and thought it would be a great opportunity for his sister to work there. She did just that, and like everyone else would have to start from the bottom. An English Major who started off in Sales has worked her way up the cooperate ladder and was definitely making a name for herself. She became the head of human resources where I believe is an amazing place to work. I mean what better way to learn about the company and the people behind the scenes. Soon afterwards she developed a desktop printer division. Lastly, the final stepping stone was a former CEO by the name Paul Allaire, saw great things in Anne Mulcahy and requested she be put into company president positon and a molding tool for a shot at CEO. Making a difference Paul Allaire, saw so much potential in Anne Mulcahy, he appointed her President of Xerox where she worked a few years and soon became CEO. While at CEO, she had a few......

Words: 563 - Pages: 3

Decision-Making Case Study Analysis

...Decision-Making Case Study Analysis Tara Thompson HCS/514 September 27, 2015 Steven Bonnell Decision-Making Case Study Analysis The healthcare industry is one of the largest industries in the country. As the healthcare industry continues to evolve, it continues to undergo many changes. Technology and medical advancements are two of the biggest changes that are consistent. The economy has its ups and downs and continues to change as well. As the economy changes, healthcare cost rises which can have an impact on many organizations. The many organizations either had to move, down sized, lay off staff or close. The Piedmont County Clinic has been struggling to stay in operation. Due to budget cuts the clinic has been affected tremendously. The Piedmont county clinic budget has been cut by 15%. The population that is mainly affected by the budget cuts are the Medicaid recipients. Medicaid recipients are affected in two ways, benefits are reduced and the services they receive at the clinic are reduced as well. The administration at Piedmont County Clinic are being forced to reduce or eliminate services that are provided to Medicaid recipients. In order for Piedmont County Clinic to continue to provide quality health care the administration has to address the budget cuts by either reducing or eliminating services that will unfortunately affect many Medicaid recipients. The Piedmont County Clinic has appointed a team of managers to plan and make decision...

Words: 1378 - Pages: 6

Decision Making Analysis

...Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary MGT/230 09/07/2015 Decision Making Analysis Discussion When Ann Mulcahy became the CEO of Xerox she was born into an environment full of conflict and strife. Inheriting a disastrous mess and the company drowning in debt, she had to make bold, decisive decisions that took the company away from its’ entrenched way of doing things. Conflict was definitely one of the characteristics of management that Mulcahy dealt with when she became the acting CEO of Xerox. Mulcahy had been with the company for thirty years and had held various positions in human resources, sales, and was the creator and leader of a desk jet printer division. In the video it says that Mulcahy considered the people of Xerox to be her family. This fact must have taken a heavy toll when she needed to make decisions about cutting costs and restructuring the company. Within the first year of Mulcahy taking over she cut one billion in costs, and included in that one billion was the deskjet printer division that she herself created. Job elimination was certainly part of Mulcahy’s plan to reduce costs, the source material does not specify whether or not employees were repurposed to different divisions or if many were subject to straight layoffs or if it was a combination of the two. It was fortunate that Mulcahy had a wealth of knowledge of how different departments operated before she became CEO. Having a from the ground up background with the company undoubtedly gave...

Words: 706 - Pages: 3

Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary

...Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary MGT/230 November 2, 2015 Anne Mulcahy, former president, current CEO of Xerox, started out earning a degree in English from Marymount College in New York. Anne originally wanted to be an editor like her father. However, her older brother, who worked at Xerox, convinced her to join there instead. After years of dedicated work, she looked at her company like it was a family. Needless to say, this caused her to make some hard choices over the years. When it looked as if the company was going under. When the company was knocking on bankruptcy's door, then things got worse when the SEC began investigating accounting practices, which caused Xerox a fine of Ten million dollars. Action had to be taken and Anne stepped up to do so. She cut one billion dollars by cutting jobs and selling off divisions, and ending certain projects. This obviously was a hard decision to make. This company was a family to her, it was important to save it. Save the jobs of the entire company, but cutting only a portion. This includes the even shutting down the Deskjet printer division she started. With hard work, progressive thinking and decision-making, Anne was able to save the company through a risky gamble. She saw this company needed to change, she knew the best way was for a complete transformation. She sorted out the printers and functions nobody wanted, she started putting money into new technology, like color digital printing and consulting......

Words: 533 - Pages: 3

Decision Making Analysis Discussion

...Decision Making Analysis Discussion Summary MGT/230 Management Theory and Practice Ruby Williams December 14, 2015 Instructor: Delinda Denslow * I agree with Valerie’s decision making findings of the Xerox video, because she(Valerie) stated that Anne Mulcahy had to make one of the hardest decisions of shutting down one of the divisions she created to cut costs on the company’s behalf. * I also agreed with my team member, Valerie for the findings in the video that Anne Mulchy climbed the ladder of success within the company from saleswoman to CEO, and that was recognized as a she-ro. * I agreed with another one of my team members, John, for his findings of decision making of the Xerox Company’s CEO, Anne Mulchy, stating how one decision the company made may have made the difference in going bankrupt, and emerging from the company’s rough times. * John also stated his findings to the team from the video that, Anne Mulcahy’s leadership skills played an important part in keeping the company afloat. * I, Ruby, talked about her findings of decision making within the company stating how Xerox made the right decision in appointing Anne Mulchy, CEO, and then nominating her for the position to be the one to generate new ideas for the company on the company’s behalf to keep the company from being bankrupt. The company also saw her determination skills, expertise, and managerial skills to promote and generate ideas that were in the best interest of......

Words: 281 - Pages: 2

Decision - Making Case Study Analysis

...Decision - Making Case Study Analysis HCS/514 Managing in Today’s Health Care Organizations August 28, 2015 Introduction The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) produced a set of developmental tools to aid decision makers in discovering and interpreting evidence related decisions. These developmental tools are to promote the use of evidence-based management within a health care setting. The informed decision toolbox was created to help merge the gap between evidence based research and decision making within an organization (Crump & Spurgeon, n.d.). These tools consist of six steps that will guide managers and decision makers in constructing well informed decisions. The steps are composed of; framing the question behind the decision, finding sources of information, assessing the accuracy of information, assessing the applicability of the information, assessing the actionability of the information and determining if the information is adequate are used by managers to consider if the decision they are making is well informed (Young, 2002). Framing Questions and Locating Sources By framing the question behind the decision, a manager must first identify what the decision is and then determine what information must be obtained in order to make a well informed decision. To properly make a well informed decision, a manager must frame a question that will properly translate what research must be conducted to begin research. The questions will be used...

Words: 1138 - Pages: 5

Decision Making Analysis

...Customer Interview Assignment – Magazine Purchase Decision-Making Process Demographics Gender | Male | Rough income level : upper middle | Age | 37 | for this study: low = less than $20K, lower middle = $20-50K, upper middle= $50-100K, high = $100K | Marital Status | Married | | Target Market Fit A magazine subscription that included online access to current and archived article | Low | A magazine subscription that included access to articles on a reading device (i.e. Kindle, iPad) | Low | One-off, on demand purchases of magazine issues on a reading device (i.e. Kindle, iPad) | Low | DMP Description: Customer Decision Making Process (DMP) is really a very complicated process. Different customer will show difference expression during the process. The objective of this survey is to find out how customers make decision when they want to purchase magazines. Based on my interview and the DMP mode, analysis of this customer is as below: Life part: The internal fact to impact on this customer’s choice is this customer loves to know every single thing about fashion. Apparently, he is not satisfied by only searching data through internet. He wants to hold real magazine on his hand to enjoy the knowing process about information. That is why he likes to buy several magazines each month. The fact, he knows his needs very well, gives meaning, purpose and relevance to what he do. The external fact on this part is this customer connects to fashion industry......

Words: 704 - Pages: 3

Decision Making and Data Analysis

...commercial potential. The cost of the preliminary testing is €0.25 million. In Campus Crucible’s experience, such preliminary testing shows a positive result only 40% of the time: in other words, there is a 40% chance that the testing will return a positive result and a 60% chance that it will return a negative result. Therefore the preliminary testing does not give absolute certainty that the invention will have commercial potential. If Campus bought the invention it would still need to go through the whole process of exploring the commercial potential and developing the invention as described and costed earlier. Campus Crucible must decide whether to conduct the preliminary testing, and indeed whether to buy the invention at all. Draw a decision tree to represent the problem and indicate what Campus should do if their objective is to maximise expected value. You may disregard taxes, inflation and the time value of money....

Words: 555 - Pages: 3